Saturday 19 November 2016

Queenstown Half Marathon

Stoked to take the win in the Queenstown Half marathon yesterday, Saturday 20th November. Been keen to race a half marathon for a while now and was awesome that it was a home race. The Start line was literally 1km down the road from home so pretty cool to be able to my warm up from home to the start line. Think there were around 10,000 people racing both full and half marathon.

First couple of kilometres were pretty quick before the things settled down and I locked into a good rhythm, running around the 3.15 to 3.25min per km pace. The majority of the run is on the Queenstown Trail, which makes it a little tougher but far more scenic and entertaining running. Was running with one other guy Mike Phillips who won the race last year, until about the 10km mark, where there is a steep climb. I made a move there and was able to create a gap between us and then built a substantial lead from there.  Felt strong the whole way, a little tender for the last few kilometres, but all round good race and executed to the plan I had set out.

Took the win in 1 hour 12 min 23 sec (new course record), 2min30sec in front of second. Was wearing the Hoka Claytons, which were perfect and Skins tights and socks so was in complete comfort. 


Western Sydney 70.3 is next and is my first professional race so has given me a nice confidence in my running before that race.

Thanks to my coach Bevan (fitter.co.nz) and thanks to my sponsors, Hoka One One, Skins, Balance Sports Nutrition

2 comments:

  1. Great blog post Jase and even better result. All the best for the West Sydney half ironman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete