Sunday 19 February 2017

IM 70.3 Geelong

70.3 Geelong

Another tough day out yesterday at 70.3 Geelong 19th February. This race marked 2 years since my first 70.3 which was the 2015 70.3 Australia champs in Geelong where I got third in my age group.

The day started out pretty well with a decent swim which positioned me comfortably with the 2nd pack going into the bike. I was able to this race get a better start on the bike and get out the front of the group I was with and put myself in a position to ride with them for the full 90km. Unfortunately that didn't happen and I was spat out the back as they were pushing a pretty solid pace for the first 20km and I wasn't able to maintain in the cross wind as well as them. This lead me to cutting my losses and just conserving as much as I can so I could have a solid run off the bike.

That luckily is what happened and I was able to have another good run. Was third fastest run split I think and run 74min 20sec. Was able to make up a few places but still only finished up 21st due to the ride.

The race itself was pretty stacked and was cool to race with a lot of the top guys even if it was for the swim and a brief moment on the bike! Sam Appleton and Josh Amerberger are machines and impressive to see them going toe to toe, full throttle for the full distance! Kudos to Jake Montgomery for coming back from real bad crash to finish 5th.

Got Subic Bay and Taiwan 70.3 coming up so hopefully can put a better bike together and position myself so my run can put me more ahead of some guys rather than help me catch up!







No comments:

Post a Comment